Monday, July 14, 2008

Millions of Bats



The other week, some relatives came all the way from USA to visit their homeland, Philippines. I spent a day with them in Samal Island. My aunt invited me to go with them on an Inland-Tour. There were 3 destinations for the said tour. First was the Moncado Old White House of General Moncada, it was built on top part of Samal Island wherein I was able to see the nice beaches below and as well as the beautiful city of Davao right from where I stood. Second was the Hagimit Falls, a nice place for swimming and even camping. What fascinated me most was the Monfort Bat Coservation Park. I never expected to see bats that day. All I thought there will just be couple of them but never in my thoughts to see millions of them in one cave. There's no enough space for everyone on the wall of the cave and some were fighting to get a space to rest while waiting for the sun to go down. It was past four when we arrived in the area and all the bats were ready for their night flight. It was an extraordinary experience for me since I'm really scared of bats. They look like rats with wings. It's so disgusting to watch them but before the tour ended I realized that that was such a great wonder of the world to see. Bats are part of the nature and play a great role in the eco-system. They help eliminate insects by eating them. They eat some fruits, specifically that of from Talisay and they will drop the seeds just anywhere allowing another Talisay plant to grow. There must be more profound reason why they do exist. Though I was too scared looking at them and hardly breathe when I get near the cave because of their unexplainable smell, I still asked to have a picture taken as a keepsake. I still have to contact my cousin to e-mail me the photo once they get back to the USA. Meantime, you can check the Bat Sanctuary Website.

No comments: